....AND BEYOND!!!

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Real Bride At 35: Sarah Kelly



Well, all right!

We were hoping that we'd get some submissions for stories about the real BA35's out there, and we got one immediately, from Sarah Kelly, who we went to Baltimore City College High School with back in the 80s (our posted Facebook prom pictures prove this. We were cute, though.)

Anyway, here is Sarah's story:

"Before I met my current husband (and only one I hope!) I had been engaged three times... 4 if you count my engagement to my now husband! The first engagement was with a guy I dated for 6 years... just wasn't the one. The second engagement I call my "accidental" engagement. I had been planning to break up with him and he must've sensed it because he asked me to marry him over dinner with friends! I was so shocked and didn't want to embarrass him so I said yes.
"There was one more engagement before I found "The ONE". In my 20s I had always dreamed of my wedding and had everything planned right down to the flowers and the month. BUT when it actually came time to plan.. I had a completely different wedding. Things that I thought were important then.. just weren't that important any more. I did alot of the things myself, i.e. invitations, programs, favors.. and used a Tech School for my flowers! God Forbid!! BUT everything turned out absolutelly beautiful.
"The wedding date was Feb 24th, and two days prior there was a huge ice storm, but on that day, it was sunny and 45. Even got gorgeous pictures outside in my strapless dress! When we arrived the place was locked and we had to track down the manager to open the doors! I remained calm.. even after my sister (the maid of honor) sprayed perfume on her dress.... leaving a huge oil stain right in the center.. No problem... I said 'Just put your bouquet in front of it,' which she did. I was so calm that my father in law even toasted to it in his speech!
"When it's the right person and time, all that stuff doesn't matter. As far as I was concerned as long as my groom and the minister was there, that's all I needed. I feel that I have entered a marriage that will last my lifetime becuase I had the opportunity to do all the things I wanted to do."

YAY! That is just what we were looking for! (See more of her beautiful photos at http://www.jasonknauer.com/gallery/4417293_3ZRAe/1/259535017_eZ2WC#259663593.

And we like how Sarah touched on what Lynne and I found when we planned our weddings, that they were completely different than the ones that were in our heads in our 20s. We didn't have to please anyone, including any earlier versions of ourselves. And Sarah, apparently, felt that too.

OK...who's next?

No comments:

Post a Comment