....AND BEYOND!!!

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry Christmas from Bride at 35, Part 1



Merry Christmas to all of you!! This is Lynne, 1/2 of the Bride at 35 team. I am writing this as I watch "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" on Food Network. They are talking about yummy brunch. I, myself, am about to heat up the pastry thing we bought at Panera yesterday. Yes, I am a gourmand.

But designer re-heated pastry aside, there are two big things that stand out about this year for me. One is that I am going to be sharing that pastry with my husband,  because, yes, this year, for the first time in my 39 years, I have a husband. The second HUGE thing is that I am NOT sharing that pastry with Leslie, the other 1/2 of the Bride at 35 team, and also my twin sister, who is also celebrating her first married Christmas, or with my parents.

It's not that it's our first holiday as couples. Last year, Mommy, Daddy, my then-boyfriend (now husband) and I travelled to South Florida to have Christmas with my sister and her then-fiance, who has since been upgraded to brother-in-law, awesome Scott.  That was a wonderful vacation with plenty of excitement in the air, because Leslie and Scott were engaged, and because it seemed like a taste of things to come, with all of us together, because, with the exception of that one Christmas in 1994 when Leslie had moved north and couldn't come down to Florida where my parents and I were (we have ALL moved around in the last 16 years, and the tracking of who lived where when is a whole differnt blog post), my parents and Leslie and I ALWAYS spend Christmas together.

But new years bring changes, and this year, my husband and I didn't have the time off to travel to be with my immediate family this year. After being in denial for a couple of days, we decided to look at it as a cool thing. Since this is our first married Christmas, we are doing just us this year. After the Panera, we'll watch some movies, go out to eat and just soak up the day, which for us is mostly about Jesus-ness, then a little about fried breaded things.

And below the Jesus-ness, and above the fried goodness, it's about family. And this year, this new family of 2, my husband and I, are building a foundation of us, just today, before we add dogs and kids and such. Next year, I am sure that we will do a larger family Christmas day again. While I am missing the family that I'm not with today, I am so thankful for this new person that I have been blessed with.  And I hope that whatever your traditions, or faith, or location, that you are spending this day happy.

Merry Christmas.



No comments:

Post a Comment